Volunteers Australia was established with the aim to provide local Indigenous or Torres Strait Islander communities with volunteer support, while providing a unique opportunity for volunteers to experience life in an Indigenous or Torres Strait Islander community.
Volunteers will work in partnership with the local people in a variety of community-based projects. Through daily work and interaction with communities, volunteers will gain insights into local culture and major issues facing communities.
All volunteers will work in partnership with local people in a variety of community-based projects in areas such as teaching, culture, building and renovations, community development, children & youth, sports and environmental conservation.
Rather than seeing ourselves as a Volunteer Agency, we act as a responsible local partner to the communities. We assist volunteers just as we assist the local communities. Volunteers can feel confident that they will be working with a partner who facilitates the exchange of knowledge and skills.
MORE ABOUT VOLUNTEERS AUSTRALIA :
- The Volunteer Projects are arranged in cooperation with Indigenous organisations and communities to create a structured and well-organised experience foreach and every participant.
- Local Project Managers are available to offer their experience, know-how, counselling and support to Volunteers.
This ensures that Volunteers and communities alike – receive the maximum benefit from the program.
- We have negotiated and visited every project and have a Memorandum of Understanding in place.
- Cultural Orientation sessions are crucial to prepare Volunteers for their projects and make them aware of the rights, dignity and culture of the communities.
All of our projects start with a 3-day Orientation Session.
- Appropriate volunteer accommodation is being offered in premises that provide a safe and comfortable environment.